9-year-old Girl Designed A Coin



[Florence Jackson with her coin /PA pics]

A nine-year-old girl from Bristol has become the first child to ever design a UK coin.

Florence Jackson's picture of a high-jumper will feature on a 50p coin which will enter circulation next year. She beat 17,000 other entries to win a BBC One Blue Peter competition celebrating the 2012 Olympic Games in London.

Florence told the BBC: "It was amazing to see my picture turned into a coin. I can't wait to see it in my pocket money. "I'm so excited. It was a real surprise to win. I'd never entered a Blue Peter competition before, but really wanted to take part because I love drawing.

"I chose the high-jump because I'd watched it on TV before and thought it looked fun." Her high-jump motif is the first in a series of 29 officially-licensed 50p designs to commemorate the Olympics.

Florence was joined by Olympic gold medallist Denise Lewis and Blue Peter presenter Andy Akinwolere to strike her first coin at the Royal Mint. Ms Lewis said: "Florence has done all Olympians and Paralympians proud. Her design is simple and effective and I'm honoured to say I saw it first."

The youngest person to have previously designed a UK coin was 26-year-old Matthew Dent from Bangor in Gwynedd last year.


(via BruDirect)

No Response to "9-year-old Girl Designed A Coin"

Related Posts with Thumbnails
"I'm do not plagiarize my posts from other websites.. I just copy and share what I found with credit/LINKED to the original post. But I sometimes forgot to link them, so don't blame me for that. Hohoho" - Ezura
 
powered by Blogger

My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://randomworld.posterous.com/
and update your bookmarks.