Rakugo in English in UBD


Rakugo, better known as Japanese sit-down comedy or comic story telling, has a history of about 400 years where performers sit in front of audience and act out stories comprising conversations among several characters.

More than 150 audiences consisting of Universiti Brunei Darussalam (UBD) students, ambassadors and the public witnessed the Rakugo at the Chancellor Hall, UBD, yesterday.

It was to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between Japan and Brunei Darussalam.

The show was organised by the Embassy of Japan in Brunei Darussalam and Japan Foundation in cooperation with UBD. The guest of honour at the event was YAM Pengiran Anak Haji Abdul Wadood Bolkiah and his wife Pengiran Siti Aminah Pengiran Haji Othman.

"Rakugo is the art of monologue with a humorous punch line. Rakugo stories reflect traditional Japanese values and teaching of common wisdom," Mr Sato Masaharu, Charge d' Affaires ad Interim, Embassy of Japan in Brunei, said.

Performing the story telling was Mr Kaishi Katsura, who started his career as a professional Rakugo performer in 1994 and started presenting it in English in 1997.

Altogether, Mr Kaishi has given more than 300 performances in 13 different countries and in 2007, he was appointed by the Japanese Ministry of Culture as its cultural exchange ambassador.

by Edwin Eng

>>> Sorry for copying the article from Borneo Bulletin (at least I didn't plagiarized it)

I went to the event.. and I really enjoyed myself watching it... We get to laugh ourselves for following the instructions in the videos showed during the event! XD


Mr. Kaishi was telling a story of a man who hire to act as a tiger in the zoo (photo by Ezura)

Jacky, Amal and Jess were there too (photo by Ezura)

Photographers all over the place (photo by Ezura)

Video showed on screen, explaining the history of Rakugo (photo by Ezura)


Video showed the life of an apprentice of Rakugo storyteller (photo by Ezura)



I can still remember the rule of watching Rakugo given by the MC of the show (I forgot her name);
  1. If it's funny, please laugh!
  2. If it's not funny, please try to laugh!! (hahaha)

Mr. Kaishi also spoke in Malay as he greet us when he showed up on the stage... (of course he didn't understand... just by memorizing it from from someone XD)
I only speak English on the stage. But if I'm off the stage, please don't talk to me!! Because I can't speak English off-stage!!


and of course we could help ourselves stop from laughing.... XD

No Response to "Rakugo in English in UBD"

Related Posts with Thumbnails
"I'm do not plagiarize my posts from other websites.. I just copy and share what I found with credit/LINKED to the original post. But I sometimes forgot to link them, so don't blame me for that. Hohoho" - Ezura
 
powered by Blogger

My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://randomworld.posterous.com/
and update your bookmarks.